The kitchen is often called the heart of the home, and for good reason. Most of us spend quite a bit of time in our kitchens, prepping and enjoying our daily nourishment and then, yes, cleaning up after that nourishment. However, the kitchen can also be a sneaky source of an alarming amount of waste in a household. These five simple swaps can help greenify the heart of your home!
- Reusable Produce Bags: ditch single use plastic bags and replace them with reusable produce bags. We recommend these from MeMotherEarth, that handmade from 100% cotton, durable, and washable.
- Kitchen Composter Kit: transform food waste into nutrient rich compost with the help of a compact indoor composting system. Try out your green thumb on an herb garden, compost courtesy of your food scraps!
- Refillable Cleaning Products: these “forever bottles” and soap tablets from Blueland mean you don’t have to rely on single use plastic bottles for cleaning products anymore! Bonus: all their formulas are non-toxic.
- Sponge Cloths: forget the annoyance of running out of paper towels just when you need them most. A single sponge cloth by Ever Green Cloth replaces the use of 17 rolls of paper towels and is made from recycled materials!
- Sustainably Packaged Dry Goods: unfortunately, our favorite pantry items often come in non-recyclable plastic bags and boxes. Stock your shelves responsibly with food packaged in more sustainable packaging. We obviously prefer our Sun and Swell pantry items, where every product is not just organic and delicious, but also packaged in compostable bags or reusable glass containers.
Give these swaps a go - the Earth (and your wallet) just might thank you! We love to see the ways you're working to make your kitchen more green so be sure to give us a tag if you post your efforts on social. No step is too small! #SunAndSwellPantry