Dear Sun & Swell Community,
We are so excited to share our 2021 Impact Report and highlight areas we've progressed and where we want to grow in the years to come. We couldn't thank you all enough for being on this journey with us to create a radically different food system. Check out some stats from 2021 below.
2021 in Review
We've continued to move away from plastic packaging and in 2021 77% of all sales came from plastic-free packaging, up from 45% in 2020 and 10% in 2019. We prevented 46 thousand plastic bags from being produced and ending up in the oceans and landfills. Additionally, through surveying our community, 80% of customer said shopping Sun & Swell helped them to remove plastic from their lifestyle.
In 2021, 100% of our ingredients were vegan and sourced from organic farms. 49% of our ingredients came from U.S. farms, 74% came from independently owned farms, and 43% of ingredients came straight from the farm.
People & Planet
Our B Corp certification demonstrates the holistic investment we make in our team, community and planet. In 2021, we continued to support several local and global environmental initiatives through our carbon offsetting program and 1% for the Planet commitment. We annually offset 100% of our carbon footprint through Nori, specifically funding projects that focus on creating healthy soils and storing carbon in these lands. Learn more here. Additionally, our customers offset over 30,000 pounds of carbon through our carbon offset with Cloverly to offset the carbon associate with shipping. We are committed to promoting diversity and equity on our team; in 2021, 70% of our workers identified as women, and 20% are BIPOC.
In 2022 we're excited to improve. Check out some goals for this year below:
- 90% of all sales come from products in plastic-free packaging
- Offset 100% of our carbon footprint
- Source over 50% of ingredients from the US
- Open up our Compostable Bag Send Back Program to other brands using compostable packaging as well as our Wholesale partners.
- Explore sourcing ingredients from farms that are Regenerative Organic Certified and working with our current Organic farmers to see the barriers they experience that prevents them from using regenerative practices and how we can help them overcome these
We know that we are far from perfect and we are committed to continue to push for change in the food industry. We are so grateful for your commitment to a better world for humans and the environment.
Check out the full Sun & Swell 2021 Impact Report here.