If you've ever wondered what to do with dried chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) you've come to the right place! Our friend Alexis from Gourmet Maisons (@gourmet_maisons) has shared a delicious recipe with us all. Learn how to cook dried chickpeas and turn them into delicious lemony, herby & broth-y beans! Check out this fun reel that takes you step by step through the recipe. Thanks Alexis!
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 4 cups water
- 2 lemons
- herbs of your choice! rosemary and thyme used in this version
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- to finish: sliced avocado, greek yogurt, aleppo pepper flakes & flaky sea salt
- Soak dried garbanzos at least 4 hours. Overnight is great! The longer they soak, the less cook time they will need.
- In a cast iron pan on medium high heat, add enough olive oil to coat the pan. Add halved lemons and char until golden brown and even a little burnt!
- Drain soaked beans and transfer to a saucepan or dutch oven. Cover with 4 cups of water. Add a large pinch of salt and lots of ground black pepper. Add a generous pour of olive oil, and stir in herbs and charred lemons.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for about 2 hours, or until chickpeas are soft and tender.
- Serve brothy beans with sliced avocado, a dollop of greek yogurt and sprinkles of aleppo pepper and flaky sea salt!
These are delicious on their own, but could also be used to make a super flavorful hummus! By adding aromatics like the herbs and lemon plus lots of seasoning and fat, you will be able to infuse a ton of flavor into this bean!