This almond cheese recipe by The Spruce Eats is a simple way to experiment with making your own nut-based cheese! Vegan and dairy-free, this is a great substitution for traditional cheese. Expect a cookie-dough-like consistency and for your almond cheese to keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- 1 cup whole, raw, almonds (we recommend blanching them!)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
You’ll want to do some almond prepping a day or so before actually making the almond cheese - these extra steps make all the difference!
We recommend opting for blanched almonds - this is just a fancy way to say almonds with their skins removed. If you can’t find blanched almonds, simply pour boiling water over almonds and let them sit for a few minutes before draining and rubbing the almonds with a towel. This should effectively remove the skins and ensure your almond cheese has a smoother and more traditional-cheese like texture.
You’ll also want to soak your blanched almonds in cold water for 24 hours to help saturate the interior and guarantee a creamier result. Pop them in a bowl with some water, cover the bowl, and refrigerate.
After the allotted time is up, rinsed and drain your almonds… now it is time to make your cheese!
- Put the balanced almonds, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and water in a food processor or high-powered blender. If you are option to add any additional ingredients (herbs, spices, nutritional yeast, etc) - add them now!
- Blend for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is smooth
- Scrape the mixture into colander lined with a double-layer of cheesecloth.
- Roll the cheesecloth tightly around the mixture, create a bundle, and seal the bundle with a band or string. Give it a few gentle squeezes to remove excess moisture. Return the bundle to the colander and pop it into the fridge. Tip: put a rimmed plate under the colander to catch any draining liquid. Leave the cheese to firm up in the fridge for minimum 12 hours.
- After 12+ hours have passed, peel the cheesecloth carefully off your almond cheese and enjoy!