Vegan Urad Dal
This vegan, urad dal recipe was created by the Curious Chickpea Blog and is our new favorite meal to make. The recipe combines delicious and nourishing spices and ingredients to create a yummy comforting dinner. Our favorite part is the use of Urad Beans in this recipe. These beans have loads of protein and fiber and are therefore a great plant-based staple.
- 2 cups (400 g) whole urad beans, soaked 6-8 hours, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2" (2 tbsp) fresh ginger, minced
- 1-2 chiles, minced, seeded if desired
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (or 15 oz can)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- basmati rice, for serving
- Cook the urad beans: In a large stock pot, add soaked and rinsed urad beans and 6 cups of water. Add 2 tsp of salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and then cook partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt the oil, and add the onion and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 7-9 minutes, or until the onions are golden and translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, and chiles and sauté an additional 1-2 minutes. Add the curry powder and garam masala and stir to coat, for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- When the urad beans are soft, add the tomato, shredded coconut, and the onion mixture to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook another 5-10 minutes uncovered, until desired consistency. If at any point the dal gets too dry, you can always add more water.
- Squeeze in lemon juice, taste, adjust seasoning if desired. Add the cilantro to garnish, and serve hot with basmati rice.