Sweet Potato Casserole (vegan, gluten-free)
We're entering the Holiday season! Although Thanksgiving might look a bit different this year, the tradition of sharing yummy foods with friends and family and practicing gratitude for what we have will persist. As indulgent as Thanksgiving is, we have crafted a dish that is rich and delicious while still being gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan!
Sweet potato mash
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1/ 3 cup nut milk (almond, cashew, or walnut milk - use this recipe as a guide!)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/ 4 cup date syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flax seed
- 5 tbsp water
- Mix and then let sit for 5 minutes
- 1 1/ 2 cups pecans (roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp date syrup
- 1/ 2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Cover, bring to a boil, and boil until tender (~15 minutes; potatoes will pierce easily with a fork). Remove from heat and drain.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl (if mashing by hand) or a high speed blender. Add the remaining Sweet Potato Mash ingredients and flax egg. Blend or mash until no lumps remain.
- Pour mash into pie dish or baking dish and smooth.
- In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the topping. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mash.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Then remove foil and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy!