Green Bean Casserole (vegan, gluten-free)
This green bean casserole is a must for your Thanksgiving table this November. A common misconception is that in order to "indulge" on Thanksgiving Day (or any day) we must eat unhealthy foods that leave us feeling uncomfortable. At Sun & Swell, we want to show you that you can eat food that tastes delicious, but leaves you feeling good! This creamy mushroom, green bean casserole is the perfect recipe for that.
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Coconut oil
- ~6 shallots, thinly sliced (~2 cups)
- 2 pounds green beans
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup of broth of choice (or water)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Place cashews and hot water in high speed blender and blend until smooth. If too thick, add a little more water. If you don't have a high speed blender (like Vitamix or Blendtech) soak cashews overnight to soften, and drain before adding hot water.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of coconut oil in a sauté pan at medium-high heat
- Let oil heat for a few minutes, then add shallots. Sauté for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown. Be careful to make sure they don't burn - they go from golden brown to burnt quickly!
- Move to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil water in a large pot. Add green beans and cook for 5 minutes. Remove green beans, drain, and run under cold water to stop cooking.
- Sauté onion in coconut oil. Once onion is translucent, add mushrooms and cook until they are almost all the way sautéed. Add garlic, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add green beans, cashew cream, 1/2 cup water, and nutritional yeast and stir until thoroughly combined. Simmer for another 3-5 minutes, stirring. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Move to a baking dish or a bread pan, and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with crispy shallots and bake another 2 minutes, making sure they don't burn.