Butternut Squash Lasagna
This is one of our favorite fall recipes! A delicious whole food, plant-based take on traditional lasagna that's gluten-free and dairy-free.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 24 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup cashews (soaked in hot water for ~2 hours if you don't have a high-speed blender like Vitamix or Blendtech)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional layers (add as a layer in #5 below)
- Sautéed mushroom and roasted red peppers
- 1 pound ground meat (cook before layering)
1. Make butternut squash sheets: To make sheets, peel butternut squash. Cut in half, and scoop out the seeds. You can cut into thing sheets while it's raw, or to make it softer/easier to cut, put in oven for 15 minutes @ 375 to soften, and then cut. 1 squash should make 10-15 sheets.
2. Make sauce: Sautee onion and garlic in avocado oil until fragrant. Add in Italian seasoning, salt, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. Make cashew cheese: Combine cashews, garlic, water, salt and pepper in high speed blender and blend until smooth.
4. In a baking dish, spoon in a layer of sauce. Add a layer of butternut squash sheets, then sauce, then cashew cheese. Repeat 2 more times (3 layers total)
5. Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes.