Cutback on your household plastic use (and save a couple dollars) by making your own toothpaste! Made with just some simple ingredients you have around the house.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil (optional - gives it a fresh feeling!)
- 15 drops cinnamon essential oil (optional - gives it flavor!)
Heat coconut oil so it's melted. Mix everything together well and pour into a small mason jar. Put in fridge to solidify, then remove from fridge / store at cool room temp.
1. FLUORIDE: We couldn't help but think - yeah this is great for the environment, but what would a dentist think about this?? So we asked our dentist friends! The consensus was - it's overall great, but it's missing fluoride.. and anyone who is 'cavity prone' should use fluoride There are different schools of thought on whether we need fluoride, whether its more harmful than helpful, etc. - so we encourage you to do your research and make your own informed decision on whether you need a toothpaste with fluoride. If you decide you don't, this one will work just perfectly for you :)
2. CONSISTENCY: This is coconut oil based, and as with anything with coconut oil, it changes consistencies in different temperatures. Try to store it somewhere cool so it doesn't melt. And if it does melt, pop it in the fridge to solidify before using. While you could use it directly out of the fridge, the consistency will be a little tough. We find the best consistency to be stored at room temperature.
3. STORING & APPLYING: There are two ways to apply this. One is to store it in a small mason jar, and to use a small spoon or something similar to just scoop it / put in on toothpaste. We use a small cheese spreader! Another option is to use an old toothpaste container. Cut off the end of it, put your homemade toothpaste in, and then close it up with a chip clip. We haven't tried the latter method, but we've heard it works!
This recipe is inspired by one of our favorite recipe creators - Meghan Telpner, and is a variation of one she features in her UnDiet cookbook. Make sure check her out!