Didn’t know you could use the carrot tops to make pesto? Learn how to make a delicious pesto sauce that pairs perfectly with the roasted carrots you’ll create, while at the same time preventing food waste. Not only is it a clean and vegan dish that tastes incredible, but it’s packed with fiber, vitamin A, and calcium to keep your body strong.
- 2 lb small carrots (keep tops attached)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ½ cup basil
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Wash carrots and remove the tops, setting them aside. Drizzle carrots with avocado oil, salt and pepper, then place on baking tray
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, flipping them half way through
- While the carrots are baking, remove the thick stems from the carrot tops and place them in a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients to create pesto, blend till smooth
- Add more olive oil, salt, or pepper to taste. Serve the carrots with the pesto!