Beets are one of our favorite produce box items to experiment with - colorful food is just so much fun! This easy recipe is a perfect BBQ side dish.
- Avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp Vinegar
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- Set oven to 375.
- Prep beets for roasting: cut off beet stems (save these for sauteed beet greens!) then put all beets in one large piece of tin foil, lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with avocado oil, sprinkle with salt, and add 2 smashed garlic cloves (with peels on). Bundle together the in foil so it’s closed shut.
- Roast at 375 for 1 hr 30 minutes (for medium/large beets; small beets won’t need as much time). You know beets are ready when you can easily insert a fork and it feels soft. Err on the side of over overcooking - it’s hard to overcook beets, but undercooked beets are too firm and not as yummy to eat!
- Let beets cool enough so you can handle them with your hands, then unwrap the foil. Pour oil/salt/garlic mixture into a bowl to save, then peel beets by running them under water and sliding skin off with your hands.
- Make vinaigrette with oil/salt/garlic mixture: Remove peels from garlic and finely chop; add back into vinaigrette. Add 2 Tbsp Persimmon Vinegar and ½ tsp dijon mustard. Whisk together and taste (if too vinegar-y for you, increase amount of avocado oil). Add salt and pepper to taste
- Pour vinaigrette over beets
- Serve warm or cold