This warm lentil soup is filled with fall spices and will become your new favorite fall soup! The perfect balance of a filling, healthy soup that will leave you feeling light.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 large carrot (diced)
- 2 stalks of celery (diced)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/ 2 cups lentils (rinse before using)
- 3 cups spinach
- In a soup pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic powder, ginger, cumin, turmeric, ginger powder, and salt. Stir to combine and coat all the veggies in the spices.
- Let cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant, and then add the vegetable broth, water, tomatoes, and red lentils. Stir and bring to a boil, then turn down and let simmer for 30-40 minutes. Until the lentils are soft. Taste, and add more salt to your tastes if desired.
- You can puree half of the soup to help make it creamier. You can also leave it if you prefer a more broth-y soup!