- 2 cups organic chickpeas*
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
*if using dried chickpeas, two cups after rehydrated, as dried chickpeas expand about 2x their size.
If preparation, cook dried chickpeas:
- Soak dried chickpeas overnight to rehydrate
- Add chickpeas to a large pot and cover with several inches of water, bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer until tender (1-2 hours)
If using canned chickpeas, give them a 20-min simmer for a creamier consistency.
- Puree chickpeas, brown rice, garlic, cumin, and salt in food processor into a thick paste. Make sure it’s a paste, and not crumbly. Add additional salt, to taste.
- Create four ½-inch thick patties (about 1/2 cup of mixture each)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook patties until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes per side
Serve with ketchup, lettuce wrap, or whatever else you enjoy!