This decadent vegan carrot cake with a creamy macadamia nut frosting will be a cake you won't only want to make once. Check out the recipe and shop ingredients below!
Carrot Cake Batter
- 1 1/2 C cashew flour (can sub almond meal)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/4 C arrowroot flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups shredded carrots (about 3 large carrots)
Macadamia Nut Frosting
- 1/2 C macadamia nuts (soaked in water for a few hours)
- 5 medjool dates (pitted and soaked in ½ C water for a few hours)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients for the cake batter (make sure to make flax eggs separately first), except carrots. Once mixed together, mix in carrot shreds
- Bake in a 9x5 bread loaf pan for 25-30 minutes. The cake will be firming up when you pull it out of the oven, but it will still be moist. We recommend starting with 25, and if feels really un-baked when you pull it out, leave it in for another 5. Put it in the fridge, and it will firm up when it's in there. If you are using a pan with larger surface area, your bars will be thinner than those in the photo, and start with 20 minutes in the oven.
- Make the icing: drain the nuts (but not the dates!), and combine nuts and dates plus the water the dates were soaked in into food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Make sure cake is cool / firm before icing.
- Store in fridge (and eat right out of the fridge)!